I love taking pasta salads for my lunches during the week – they are typically good hot or cold, and make for a very satisfying lunch. Plus, they typically have your grains, vegetables, and protein all rolled in to one delicious meal!
This one got me compliments every time I heated it up for lunch (I prefer this one a little warm). That lime and honey just really makes it special! Here is a tip for your sauce: when adding any type of sauce or vinaigrette to a pasta, be sure to toss the pasta when it is warm, not hot.
This will prevent the pasta from soaking all of the sauce up at once.
SMOKEY CHILI LIME PASTA SALAD
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 2 limes, juiced to yield ¼ cup juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ bunch of fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 cups corn kernels, from 2 ears of corn (or one can)
- 15 ounce can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 C salsa
1. Heat a large pot of water with 2 pinches of salt and bring to a boil.
2.Add in pasta and cook until al dente, 8‐9 minutes.
3.In a small bowl, whisk to combine lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper, and olive oil – set aside.
4.Drain pasta and cool slightly.
5.In a large bowl, combine pasta, cilantro, corn, black beans, and salsa.
Toss with dressing to taste.
Serve warm or at room temperature.