Have you been thinking about going vegan? Here are some great tips from Laura Theodore – who has a great new book out!
Here are my Top Five Tips for starting on the path to Vegan-Ease Cuisine: Easy vegan meals, without sacrificing great taste or giving up the textures and flavors we all love!
1. If you are new to vegan eating, start by serving one non-meat, plant-based meal each week for dinner. Try preparing hearty and satisfying favorites like Chili, Lasagna, Soup, Pasta, Easy Casserole or Meatless Burger.
2. Use mashed bananas, ground flaxseeds mixed with water or whipped organic tofu to replace eggs in many baked goods recipes. This works especially well when making muffins, brownies and many cakes. (If a baked goods recipe calls for just one egg, in most cases you can just leave the egg out and your recipe will still be perfect!)
3. Now widely available in most supermarkets, purchase rice, soy, almond, cashew, coconut or oat nondairy milk for topping cereal or as a substitute for dairy milk in almost any recipe.
4. Got a sweet tooth? Organic, dairy-free, fair trade dark chocolate is available in most supermarkets and health food stores.
5. When food shopping, take a moment to explore the rainbow of colors and tastes that fresh produce has to offer. Try adding one new vegetable or fruit to your cart every time you shop. This will make your journey toward a vegan diet more flavorful and fun.
From hearty main dishes, to decadent desserts, the vegan diet offers a wide range of options. And best of all, you’ll be making the world a better place, one tasty recipe at a time.