I absolutely loved this recipe that I made for my lunches this past week! It’s healthy, full of veggies, and so delicious!
Feel free to adjust the chipoltes to your personal taste preference.
You won't miss the meat in this yummy recipe!
- 14-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped and divided
- 3 tsp minced canned chipotle chiles, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat, reduced-sodium cottage cheese
- 9 to 10-oz package spinach, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place tomatoes, ½ the onion, 2 teaspoons chipotle and salt in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat with a little olive oil. Sauté remaining onion, garlic, and mushrooms until soft. Add spinach and cook briefly until spinach wilts.
- Mash cottage cheese in a medium bowl; stir in spinach mixture and the remaining 1 teaspoon chipotle.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce in the prepared baking dish. Cover with 4 tortillas (they will overlap). Spread on 1/2 cup sauce, then all the spinach filling. Top with another 1/4 cup sauce. Layer on the remaining 4 tortillas and the remaining 1 cup sauce. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on top.
- Bake the casserole until the cheese is melted and the filling is hot, about 25 minutes. Top with a scoop of guacamole if desired.